May 9, 2011 |
Interview with Father Nels Gjengdahl, Priest of the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis. Recorded via Skype.
Topics covered include:
Tags: Blogs, Facebook, Father Nels Gjengdahl, Social Media, twitter
Fantastic! I love hearing firsthand insight from a Priest and his experiences. Some points I particularly loved and would like to comment on:
1. The way in which younger generations are getting information. I would agree that there is the younger generation getting information primarily through social media, but this is especially true of many generations today and we need to be aware of that.
2. New media is does not have to replace old media. I 100% agree. In fact it’s probably one of the few (if ever) times where parishes and the Church can add additional avenues without having to do away with anything else mainly because there is really no cost involved.
3. In terms of “investment” of resources and time, I think this speaks to the need to seriously start looking at the real need to get serious if you will about tech ministries in parishes rather than sole reliance on maybe one person. In fact one of the great things when you really look deep into these new things is the savings they can bring in terms of costs which improving communications at the same time.
4. I love how Father Gjengdahl spoke about “frequency”, “attractiveness”, and “responsible” use. I could not agree more. There is a need for clear guidelines and a group of volunteers working as a team can execute these new avenues even from outside of the office. Likewise, he is absolutely correct in making the connection between physical interactions and how we behave online as a guide for appropriate use and posting. And I love the point of approaching use through prayer.
5. His suggestions and advice on blogging is great. It is a great opportunity for Priests today and is different from other forms in terms of content and frequency. I love how he made the association with the ‘Pastor’s Page’ in the bulletin.
Great interview. Thank you both for taking the time to share this.
Great interview! Would that we have more digital priests like Fr. Nels.
Thanks! Fr. Gjengdahl is a great blessing. I think over time, we’ll see more priests who adopt social media in ministry.
Pingback: Pray Then Post: Responsible Social Networking | Catholic Tech Talk()
Does this podcast still play? I can’t get it to. I also noticed his YouTube video Day in The Life of a Priest came down…
Catholic Tech Talk Copyright © 2017. All Rights Reserved.
Powered by WordPress. Designed by