The other day, a parish Priest called me to ask about my recommendations in regards to a mobile solution for his appointments and contacts. As I always say, “Technology are tools that provide solutions.” Here’s a problem and we needed to arrive at the best device to provide a solution. Like most who might be reading this, you’re thinking iPhone, Android phone, right? I did too. Which were one of the options I gave him, but the objection was valid . . . screen size. So what was the next best option . . . the iPad. This just makes perfect sense for any parish Priest.
- Easy to use interface that allows for access to a lot of information all in one spot. Since I also have him set up with Google Apps for parish email, calendar, and contacts; we could easily tie in that service which would make syncing the information easy over a wifi connection creating a constantly updated backup.
- Access to multiple email accounts in one spot. Handling email is very easy on Apple products. You can add multiple email accounts to the Apple provided email application which allows for offline viewing as well. Click here for the easy instructions for setting up a Google account sync with the iPad.
- Apps provide a lot of information and tools accessible in one spot.
- iBreviary or iMissal offer the Missal and much more with you all in one place in beautiful rich user interfaces.
- eReader applications for reading ebooks. You can get your ebooks from multiple places with various applications allowing you to carry a very large library with you at all times.
- PadNotes for taking notes. Couple this with a capacitive touch stylus and easily write on the screen like you are used to doing or simply type notes with the virtual keyboard. Notes are not messy (based upon your handwriting). Send your notes as a PDF via email to someone else. Have a blog idea while out? Jot it down.
- Mapping for directions
- News apps
- Social networking on the go. Whether it be Facebook, Twitter, etc.; you have access whenever you on on a wifi connection. If you are Twitter user, the iPad Twitter app is very nice.
- Unbelievable convenience. The briefcase reduces down to one device.
What are your thoughts?