With the proliferation of low-cost website hosting options, finding a reliable hosting provider is a challenge. Many — if not most — developers just stick with the first one that isn’t terrible. Although, sometimes you don’t know a hosting provider is terrible until it’s too late.
If you’re looking for a solid and professional hosting partner that specializes in Joomla, Drupal and WordPress — check out Rochen.
Here’s a few reasons why:
- Global Data Centers
- Fast, Redundant Storage
- Twice-Daily Managed Backups
- Performance Optimized Platform for PHP/MySQL
- Wholly Owned and Managed Infrastructure
- 24/7 Global Technical Support Team
- 24/7 Proactive Monitoring
- Green Hosting
- Industry Veterans
I first heard about these guys when I started working on the Joomla! platform 2-years ago. In fact, they provide hosting for Joomla.org. I have an MVS/VPS account with Rochen with about 10 websites hosted on it. They’ve provided stellar support and I wholly recommend them.
With anything, there are caveats…
1. While their pricing is comparable to other ‘serious’ hosting providers — i.e. the ones that don’t oversell their servers — they don’t offer a ton of storage. I’ll let them explain the reasoning (which I agree with BTW)…
Most web hosts utilize slower SATA hard disks but here at Rochen we use the fastest and most reliable 15,000 RPM Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) disks from Seagate. A minimum of six 15K SAS hard disks are configured to form a RAID10 array with a seventh hot-spare disk ready to take over immediately if any disk should fail.
While SATA hard disks offer a lower cost storage solution and are fine for some needs, when it comes to hosting dynamic applications like Joomla, Drupal or WordPress that depend on fast MySQL database queries and fast PHP rendering times, Rochen’s storage platform provides an unbeatable solution. Ensuring you are utilizing the fastest storage when it comes to hosting dynamic applications is extremely important.
2. Lack of phone support. The only way to reach them is through a personal ‘support portal’. On the plus side, if you open a ticket and mark it as an emergency, you will get an immediate response. It’s almost a non-issue with these guys, since every single time I’ve contacted them through the established portal, I’ve go an immediate response (i.e. under 5 minutes).
Those are the only downsides I’ve found with these guys. I’ve been with about 5 other hosting providers over the years, and for me personally — I can live with them.